- 1/3 cup (78ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30ml) annatto oil* (optional, just for color)
- 4 lemongrass stalks (about 1/4 cup minced)
- 4 small chili
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground chili
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) maple syrup (or coconut/white sugar)
- Start by slicing very finely the lemongrass stalks (only the white parts, discard the greens), chilis, shallots, and garlic. To save time, you can process everything in a food processor until finely minced.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil (and annatto oil if using) over low-medium heat. Once hot, add the minced aromatics and fry for about 2 minutes. You don’t want to fry too long or the aromatics might burn, so keep an eye on it.
- Remove from heat, add the ground chili, salt, and maple syrup, and stir to combine. Let it cool completely at room temperature before transferring to a clean jar.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Use in soups, marinades, stir-fries, noodles, etc. Make sure to give it a good stir before using.
To make annatto oil, heat 2 tbsp of neutral oil over medium heat. Once hot, add about 1 teaspoon of annatto seeds and fry for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the seeds.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Fat: 12.5g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.2g