- 2 large aloe vera leaves
- 2 cups (473ml) water
- 2 tbsp sugar (or maple syrup)
- Wash the aloe vera leaves under cold water. Using a large and sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of each leaf and discard. Slice the aloe vera in half, lengthwise, trying to slice it so you have two pieces with an even thickness.
- Next, cut off the green skin by running a sharp knife between the aloe vera gel and the skin. Discard the skin and cut the aloe vera gel into 1/2-inch cubes. Repeat with the remaining aloe vera and transfer the cubes to a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the aloe vera cubes and transfer to a medium saucepan. Add the 2 cups of water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, this step will keep the aloe vera from being slimy. Drain again and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Use as a topping for iced teas, lattes, fruit juices, or even smoothies! Aloe very jelly will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.