Fall is around the corner and it’s time to bring back the cookies!
These soft-baked cookies have an extra chewy texture, are loaded with chocolate chips, and pack over 8g of protein! Did I mention most of the protein content doesn’t come from protein powder? Keep reading to see how we are doing it!
So how do we get extra protein without adding too much protein powder? By using lupin flour! This amazing bean flour contains a whooping 40g of protein per 100g! It’s natural and doesn’t have a strong bean flavor, making it perfect for baking!
Then we have almond flour and coconut oil to bring moisture, coconut sugar to sweeten, and vanilla extract for flavor. I also added a couple tablespoons of pea protein powder to boost the protein content even further. Don’t have pea protein? Simply use more lupin flour!
These cookies could easily be made keto by swapping the coconut sugar with a granulated sweetener.
The recipe is pretty straightforward, whisk together the coconut sugar with almond butter, oil, vanilla extract, and water. Add the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a dough. No chilling is required so tender protein cookies are just minutes away!
10 minutes in the oven yields soft and chewy cookies, if crispier cookies are your thing, bake for 12-13 minutes. These cookies do have a subtle bean flavor, but it’s quite subtle as vanilla and chocolate chips cover it. Actually, it’s probably my most favorite protein cookie recipe yet!
These cookies are versatile, feel free to add your favorite nuts, dried fruits, or spices!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Grain-Free Vegan Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, almond butter, water, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar.
- Add the lupin flour, almond flour, pea protein, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon if using, and mix until well combined using a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix again. The dough will be a bit oil, this is normal.
- Scoop out balls of cookie dough using a medium cookie scoop, roll into a ball and flatten into a cookie shape (about 1/3-inch thickness). Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly golden. Let it cool completely before removing from the baking sheet. Protein cookies will keep for up to 3 days at room temperature in a airtight container.