- 1 (about 950g) celery root
- 1/2 (about 450g) cauliflower
- 2 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) vegan butter
- 1 tbsp (7g) nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- optional: a pinch of nutmeg
- Prepare the vegetables: cut the celery root into 4 pieces to quarter it. Peel it and cut into 2-inch cubes. Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Place the diced celery, cauliflower, shallots, garlic and salt in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. You can test doneness by using a knife, the celery should be soft.
- Remove from heat and drain, discarding the cooking water.
- Transfer to a food processor, add the butter, nutritional yeast, ground black pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Process for 3-5 minutes, or until you get a smooth purée. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed (I ended up adding about 1/2 tsp salt).
- Serve immediately or reheat gently in a saucepan with some almond milk to prevent it from drying. You can also reheat it in a double boiler.
- Celery purée will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Celery and cauliflower can be steamed instead of boiled if you prefer.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Fat: 16.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.6g