This recipe is from the recently released cookbook Vegan Reset from my friend Kim-Julie. She is also running Best of Vegan. Her cookbook includes a full 28-day meal plan with hundreds of easy and tasty vegan recipes that cover breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can’t tell you how many pages I have bookmarked!
Kim-Julie was kind enough to let me share a recipe from her cookbook. Since we are now into comfort food I thought this creamy mushroom pasta dish would fit perfectly. It requires less than 30 minutes to prepare, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner!
This recipe requires basic ingredients, nothing fancy here, but I can tell you it’s definitely not lacking in flavor!
It starts with the mushroom sauce that is rich, creamy, and cheesy. You sautée the mushrooms with minced shallot and garlic in a skillet for about 7 minutes. For a richer flavor, Kim-Julie recommends using a mix of different mushrooms: cremini, white button, and shiitakes. I didn’t have shiitakes on hand so I just used more cremini mushrooms. I’m sure oyster or chanterelles would make great substitutes!
While the mushrooms are cooking, you prepare the sauce. It consists of soaked cashews blended with vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and basil. I like some spiciness in my pasta, so for a nice kick of flavor, feel free to add 1/8 tsp of crushed pepper flakes.
Next, pour the sauce into the skillet and mix it with the mushrooms. The sauce is now (already!) done. You can now mix it with your favorite pasta, I went with penne but spaghetti or macaroni work too. To finish, top with fresh basil leaves and sun-dried tomatoes!
If you are looking for an easy pasta dish for a weeknight dinner, this creamy mushroom penne is perfect! It’s loaded with mushrooms, super creamy, and so comforting!
Don’t hesitate to check out Kim-Julie’s cookbook Vegan Reset for more delicious recipes and meal plans! By the way, this is not a sponsored post, I just love her cookbook and asked if I could repost one of the recipes.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Mushrooms & Pasta
- 1 cup (70g) cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (70g) shiitakes mushrooms (or cremini mushrooms), thinly sliced
- 1 cup (70g) white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 6 ounces (170g) regular or gluten-free penne
- 1 cup (236ml) vegetable broth (or 1 cup water mixed with 1 tsp veggie bouillon paste)
- 1/2 cup (75g) cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp (8g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or basil leaves
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil and sauté all of the mushrooms, shallot, and garlic for about 7 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- To make the cashew sauce, blend 3/4 cup of the vegetable broth, the cashews, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth.
- Add the sauce, dried basil and remaining 1/4 cup of the broth to the pan with the mushrooms. Stir well and lower the heat to low. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the pasta with the mushroom-sauce mixture, sun-dried tomatoes, and oregano.
Recipe by Kim-Julie Hansen from Vegan Reset.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 51.7g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 14.7g