Learn how to make your own hot chocolate mix in just 5 minutes! Simply combine the mix with your favorite plant-based milk for a creamy, rich, and thick hot chocolate. Plus, it makes a delicious edible Holiday gift!
Do you also happen to crave hot chocolate but don’t feel like preparing it? This hot chocolate mix comes to the rescue! It couldn’t be easier to make hot chocolate in just 5 minutes!
Scoop out 1/4 cup of the mix and heat it with 1 cup of plant-based milk for a warming and chocolatey treat!
🥣 How to Make Hot Chocolate Mix
You are just 5 ingredients away from the creamiest and richest hot chocolate! To prepare the mix, you will need:
- Cacao powder: Use your favorite brand of cacao powder, but go for the unsweetened kind.
- Coconut sugar: For a delicate caramel flavor!
- Dark chocolate: The addition of shaved dark chocolate brings a richer mouthfeel, as well as a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Cornstarch: To help thicken the hot chocolate just enough.
- Vanilla powder: While optional, I highly recommend adding it to the mix. It brings freshness and a delicate floral aroma. If not using, add 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract per cup of milk.
- Salt: To balance with the sweetness. Plus, salt and chocolate are always a good match!
Note: If you want the mix to be fully naturally sweetened, use coconut sugar-sweetened dark chocolate.
Start by shaving the dark chocolate using a peeler. Try to shave the chocolate as thinly as possible. This way, it will melt quickly once heated.
Next, whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a jar. Done. Your chocolate mix is now ready to use!
🍫 How to Use It
There is nothing easier! Simply combine 1/4 cup of the mix with 1 cup of your favorite unsweetened plant-based milk. Then, heat over medium heat until it just comes to a boil while whisking constantly.
The shaved chocolate and coconut sugar will melt, and the cornstarch will slightly thicken the milk!
Enjoy hot topped with vegan marshmallows or whipped cream, and sprinkle with cacao powder for a warming treat!
Yes, you can use white sugar, brown sugar, or even your favorite sugar substitute, like stevia or monk fruit. Be aware you will have to adjust the amount if using a sugar substitute.
I highly recommend going with a bar of 70% dark chocolate. If using a lower percentage of chocolate, you may want to reduce slightly the amount of coconut sugar.
This hot chocolate mix will keep for months! Since there are just shelf-stable dry ingredients used, you can store the mix in a jar at room temperature for 5-6 months easily.
I hope you will love this instant chocolate mix as much as I do! It yields a very chocolatey, perfectly sweet, and SO creamy chocolate!
🥛 More Vegan Drink Recipes
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox! Plus, you will receive new recipes every week!
I’d like to receive more tips & recipes from Full of Plants.
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine everything.
- Transfer to a jar and store at room temperature for up to 6 months.
- To use the mix: Combine 1 cup of your favorite unsweetened plant-based milk with 1/4 cup of the mix in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the shaved chocolate melts. Bring to a simmer and keep whisking for another 10-15 seconds or until the chocolate slightly thickens. Transfer to a mug and enjoy!
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.