Introducing Cream Cheese & Roasted Pumpkin Toast! It’s hard to describe how amazing these toasts are! Bread is toasted in vegan butter, then topped with a creamy fermented cashew cream cheese and perfectly-browned spicy pumpkin! These toasts scream Fall. It’s comforting and so satisfying!
If you are looking for a quick, flavor-packed, and healthy lunch, you are going to love this pumpkin toast recipe!
These toasts take about 35 minutes from start to finish to prepare and require just 7 ingredients + a few spices.
It all starts with the diced pumpkin that is coated with oil to add crispiness and maple syrup for a subtle sweetness. Then, we have the spices that bring a ton of flavor: cumin, smoked paprika, and chili flakes for a little heat.
Here, I went with whole wheat bread, but feel free to use what you have on hand. I highly recommend bread with a dense crumb, as it will hold better as a toast. Gluten-free bread will work great as well!
Cut thin (about 1/2-inch thick) slices of bread and toast in some vegan butter for a couple of minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.
Toasting in butter not only adds richness but also gives the outside of the bread some crispiness while keeping the inside moist and tender!
For the cream cheese, you have two options: use your favorite store-bought plant-based cream cheese, or make your own. If you plan to go with the second option, check out this fermented cashew cream cheese recipe, it is naturally fermented, perfectly tangy, and SO creamy!
Finally, to assemble, spread a generous amount of cream cheese on top of the warm and toasted bread, top with the spicy roasted pumpkin, and sautéed green onions.
These toasts are savory, a little bit sweet, and insanely delicious! The melty pumpkin chunks balance so well with the tangy cashew cream and the crispy bread!
Perfect for a light lunch/dinner, served with a green salad on the side or as an appetizer for your holiday table!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the diced pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, spiced, and salt. Stir to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender and the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the vegan butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the bread slices and sauté on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crispy. Transfer the bread slices to a serving plate.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped green onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble: spread about 2 tablespoons of the cashew cream on each slice of toasted bread. Top with the roasted pumpkin and some green onions. Season with ground black pepper and serve immediately!
- These toasts are delicious served warm with a green salad on the side. It can also be served as an appetizer or amuse-bouche for the holidays!
- *If using homemade cream cheese, season with 1/8 tsp of salt.
- No nutritional information for this recipe, as it would not be accurate (depending on the type/size of bread, cream cheese used, etc).
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.
🧀 25 Mind-Blowing Vegan Cheese Recipes!
Sign up for the Full of Plants newsletter and you’ll get new recipes delivered by email weekly, PLUS your FREE 100-page printable eBook!