Looking for a chocolatey AND protein-packed breakfast? These moist and tender pancakes come to the rescue!
Packed with 19g of plant-based protein, these soft and fluffy pancakes come together in less than 15 minutes!
Oat flour is combined with rice flour and almond flour to gives more structure and tenderness to the pancakes. Then we have cocoa powder for an extra chocolate flavor, and chocolate-flavored vegan protein powder. Why chocolate-flavored protein powder? Simply because I had chocolate protein powder in my pantry, as I find it usually tastes better in smoothies and shakes than vanilla protein powder.
I went with Orgain Creamy Chocolate Fudge Powder, but feel free to use your favorite plant-based protein powder! I also heard great things about KOS protein powder, if anyone has tried it let me know!
Personally, I didn't add any sugar to the batter as the protein powder I'm using is already sweetened with stevia, plus the pancakes will later be drizzled with maple syrup.
The batter comes together in less than 10 minutes, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then pour in almond milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and you are good to go.
Cook the pancakes on a non-stick pan for a few minutes on each side and serve with your favorite toppings! Banana slices, chocolate chips, peanut butter, the choice is yours!
These soft pancakes are not dry or gummy and are packed with protein, fiber, and very low in sugar!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Chocolate Protein Pancakes (Vegan + GF)
- 6 tablespoon oat flour
- 2 tablespoon white rice flour
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 and ½ tablespoon vegan chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (if using unsweetened protein powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoon almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, rice flour, almond flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, coconut sugar if using, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Pour in the almond milk and vanilla extract if using and whisk until smooth. Stir in the apple cider vinegar and whisk for a few seconds until just combined.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Use a kitchen paper towel to rub the skillet with the oil.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the pancake batter onto the skillet. Cook the pancakes until the edges appear dry and some bubbles are visible in the middle. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook for about 2 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup, banana slices, and chocolate chips!