Breakfast in a snap!
This instant breakfast mix is chocolatey, nutty, and not too sweet. It takes just 5 minutes to prepare and makes up to 6 servings! Once your mix is ready you just need to combine it with warm almond milk for a healthy and delicious breakfast!
This is perfect for meal prep!
Why Make Your Own Breakfast Mix?
- It’s portable: Since this mix only contains dry ingredients, it’s super easy to put it in a small jar or container and slip into your bag!
- It’s healthy: Not only it is better than most instant oat packages but this one is refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- It’s convenient: No need to gather all the ingredients in the morning, it’s already prepared!
- It’s perfect for meal prep: Because we don’t always have time to prepare a healthy breakfast, this mix just requires water or almond milk.
- It’s customizable! Want to add more protein? Just add a couple tablespoons of your favorite protein powder or powdered peanut butter! Want more texture? Add nuts or cacao nibs! Don’t like oats? Use quinoa or buckwheat flakes!
- It’s delicious. Enough said.
This mix contains just 6 ingredients. A combination of rolled and quick oats make the base. I like how the quick oats almost turn into a cream while the rolled oats add some chewiness. If you don’t have quick oats on hand feel free to use only rolled oats.
Then comes hazelnut meal for nuttiness, cocoa powder, and finally coconut sugar to sweeten everything. Oh, and there are also chocolate chips! They melt when you cook the oats, so good!
If you want to make it sugar-free, feel free to omit the coconut sugar or replace it with stevia. You can also add spices like cinnamon, or even add some espresso for a mocha flavor!
This instant oat mix almost tastes like Nutella in a bowl, it’s nutty, chocolatey, and super creamy! Plus it keeps for weeks in a jar, so feel free to double or triple the recipe!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup quick oats (or rolled oats)
- 1/4 cup hazelnut meal*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (use coconut sugar sweetened chocolate chips for refined sugar-free)
- optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Transfer the mix to a glass jar and keep at room temperature for up to 1 month.
- To use the mix: Place about 1/2 cup of the mix in a saucepan, add 3/4 cup of almond milk and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the oatmeal has thickened. You may use more or less milk depending on the texture you prefer.
- This mix can also be eaten with cold milk like overnight oats, simply combine 1/2 cup of plant-based milk and 1/2 cup of the mix in a bowl or jar and stir until well combined. Let sit a couple minutes, or even better overnight in the refrigerator.
* To make your own hazelnut meal, place 1/2 cup of roasted hazelnuts in a food processor and process until it looks like almond flour.
For a mix that doesn’t require milk (just water), feel free to add 3 tbsp of coconut milk powder for extra creaminess.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of the mix
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 30.2g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 5.2g