Inspired by my Creme Caramel recipe, this silky smooth chocolate flan comes with a chewy cookie dough crust!
It's no-bake, gluten-free, not too sweet, and super addicting. Let's (no) bake!
It starts with the cookie dough layer that consists of almond flour combined with oat flour. Then comes maple syrup that helps create a slightly sticky dough and hold everything together. Finally, we have a dash of vanilla extract for flavor, a pinch of salt, and chocolate chips.
Once you have a dough, press it down firmly into a springform pan into an even layer.
Now onto the chocolate flan! I went with a mix of almond milk and coconut cream for a richer mouthfeel. Coconut sugar to sweeten, cocoa powder, salt, and agar as well as cornstarch to help it thicken once it cools down.
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil before pouring over the cookie dough crust.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flan thicken and it's ready to serve!
I hope you will all love this chocolate flan! Chocolate chips add a nice crunch and the chewy cookie dough balances with the silky smooth chocolate flan!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Chocolate Flan with Cookie Dough Crust
Soft and silky smooth chocolate coconut flan on top of a vanilla cookie dough crust. No-bake, vegan, and gluten-free!
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- 1 and ½ cup (144g) almond flour
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon (112g) oat flour
- 5 tbsp (75ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (10ml) coconut oil, soft
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (43g) chocolate chips (mini are best)
- 1 and ½ cup (354ml) almond milk
- 1 cup (236ml) coconut cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon (62g) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (47g) coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (16g) cornstarch
- ¾ tsp agar agar powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
Optional: toasted coconut for topping
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, oat flour, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and salt. Mix until it forms a dough. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix again until fully incorporated.
- Line the bottom of a 7-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared pan and press it down firmly into an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add the almond milk, coconut cream, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, cornstarch, and salt to a medium-size saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking regularly to dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the agar powder in one tablespoon of almond milk. Add it to the saucepan. Keep heating and whisking until it starts to boil. As soon as it boils, remove from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and whisk again to incorporate. Let the chocolate mixture cool for about 20 minutes before pouring over the cookie dough crust. Note: a skin may have formed on top of the chocolate mixture, remove it using a spoon before pouring into the pan.
- Let it cool for another hour at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Top with toasted coconut and serve fresh! This chocolate flan will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 11.6g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4.8g