- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp each: cumin, coriander, Ras El-Hanout
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (or 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 yellow pepper)
- 1/2 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 small dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup cashews, roasted
- optional: fresh parsley, quinoa, bulgur or rice
- If using a tagine, place it on a heat diffuser or iron skillet, this will prevent it from breaking. If using a heavy pot or dutch oven just place it on the stovetop.
- Heat the oil in the tagine or dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Next, add the harissa paste, grated ginger, spices, salt, and maple syrup. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the onions start to caramelize.
- Add the diced vegetables: zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant, and diced tomatoes with their juice. Add the dates if using. Give it a quick stir. Add the water and cover with a lid.
- Cook covered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Let cool 10-15 minutes and taste to adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve on top of quinoa, bulgur, or rice, and top with the roasted cashews and fresh parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 (without quinoa)
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 13.7g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5.8g