Bringing you a comforting, veggie-packed, and easy bake today!
This roasted vegetable bake is saucy, savory, and features a delicious cashew cheese sauce browned to perfection!
No tofu or jackfruit in this bake, just vegetables and a flavorful cashew cheese topping!
We start by coating diced veggies with a drizzle of oil and spices: oregano, basil, cumin, and smoked paprika. Roast for about 40 minutes, stirring regularly until the vegetables are tender.
In the meantime, let’s prepare the sauce!
Blend soaked cashews (I usually soak them in boiling water for 30-40 minutes) with nutritional yeast, garlic, maple syrup, and vinegar. For an extra cheesy flavor, I added a couple of fermented tofu cubes, also called Chao, or fermented bean curd. If you don’t have that on hand, simply add more nutritional yeast and salt to taste.
Once your veggies are tender, stir in a handful of spinach, and the tomato sauce. Note: for people who have trouble digesting tomatoes, you could probably replace it with puréed roasted red bell peppers, or pumpkin purée.
Top with a thick layer of cashew cheese sauce and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown! The cashew sauce will slightly thicken and get a light, almost airy texture. SO good!
This bake is easy, flavorful, and makes a great weeknight family dinner! It can be served on its own, or with green salad on the side.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Cheesy Vegan Vegetable Bake
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cubes fermented tofu (add more salt and nutritional yeast to taste if you don't have it)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 zucchini cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carrot cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5-6 mushrooms quartered
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp each: oregano, basil, cumin, smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 14.5-oz can peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of baking soda
- Add the raw cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews and let it soak for about 40 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and transfer to a high-speed blender. Add the water, nutritional yeast, fermented tofu, garlic, maple syrup, onion powder, white vinegar, and salt. Blend on high-speed for about 30 seconds, or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Add the diced vegetables to a 10x7 baking dish and drizzle with the oil. Add the spices and salt, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring twice through baking.
- In the meantime, add the peeled tomatoes with their juice, maple syrup, and baking soda to a high-speed blender. Blend for 3-5 seconds, or until roughly chopped.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir in the spinach. It should soften very quickly due to the heat. Pour in the tomato sauce and stir to mix with the roasted vegetables. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Next, pour the cashew cheese sauce on top of the veggies and bake for another 15 minutes. Place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes before serving.
- This bake can be served as is with a green salad on the side for a light meal, or with rice and/or your favorite plant-based protein.