- 1 cup (150g) raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup (177ml) water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp (15ml) white miso
- 1 tbsp (15ml) white wine
- 1 tsp (5ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 12 ounces (350g) penne pasta
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp each: turmeric, chili
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14-oz (400g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 cup (375ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- for topping: fresh cilantro
- Drain the cashews and transfer to a high-speed blender. Add all the other ingredients: water, nutritional yeast, miso, white wine, maple syrup, cornstarch, onion and garlic powder, and turmeric.
- Blend on high speed for about 10 seconds, or until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed (depending on how salty your miso is). Transfer the cheese sauce to a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the penne according to the package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large iron skillet. Once hot, add the garlic and grated ginger, and sautée for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, chili, cumin, and salt, and cook for one more minute. Pour in the crushed tomatoes with their juice, maple syrup, coconut milk, and water.
- Let simmer for 5-7 minutes. Next, drain the penne pasta and add it to the skillet. Stir to coat the pasta with the sauce. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the cheesy sauce over the pasta. Use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheesy sauce is golden brown. You can put it under the grill the last few minutes for a better caramelization.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes before serving. This pasta bake is best served the same day but will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, cover with foil and warm in a 400°F preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
If you don’t have an iron skillet, you can transfer the pasta to a baking dish.
- Serving Size: 1 (with light coconut milk)
- Calories: 556
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Fat: 21.2g
- Carbohydrates: 72.9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 17.6g