- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 vegan aged camembert cheese
- fresh chive
- Place yeast into a bowl and add 1/4 cup of lukewarm almond milk. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the yeast, the rest of the milk, maple syrup and olive oil. Mix well and knead until you get a smooth dough.
- Make a ball and transfer it to a lightly floured bowl. Cover with a clean and wet towel and let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into about 12-14 pieces and shape them into balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the balls with a mix of 2 tbsp almond milk and 1 tbsp sugar. Let them rise again for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush the buns once again and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Heat the oil in a small pan over low-medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions, salt and maple syrup and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are softened, add white wine, balsamic vinegar and spices.
- Cover, lower the heat to low and cook for about 30 minutes, or until no liquid remains.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice each bun in half, top the lower half with some caramelized onions, a slice of vegan camembert and one or two thin slices of cherry tomato. Add fresh chives and top with the other half of the bun.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or warm them in the oven for about 10 minutes (at 300°F).
Recipe for the burger buns adapted from Anice & Cannella.