My favorite season has now started, days are starting to get colder, and it's time to bring back the comfort food!
This is what this cozy casserole is all about. A buttery brown rice and pulled jackfruit bake served in a creamy and spicy buffalo sauce. This is the bake that needs to be on your table on a chilly evening.
Brown rice and jackfruit make the base of this recipe. You start by cooking the rice in boiling water.
I first thought of adding dry rice directly in the baking dish and bake until cooked, but since the cooking time of brown rice can differ quite a lot depending on the brand (from 20 to 50 minutes), I ended cooking the rice in boiling water first. This way you can test the doneness of rice and make sure it is perfectly cooked.
While the rice is cooking, prepare the jackfruit. Cut off the core and place the shredded jackfruit on a baking sheet. Baking the jackfruit helps remove some moisture, resulting in a better texture, closer to shredded chicken.
If you can't find jackfruit, feel free to use seitan or Tofurky "Chick'n".
In the meantime, prepare the buffalo sauce. All the flavors of the dish come from the sauce. It consists of soaked cashews blended with water to make a smooth cream. Then comes buffalo sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce), maple syrup, and smoked paprika. I also added some nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor (not pictured above). You blend everything together until smooth before mixing it with the cooked rice and pulled jackfruit.
Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top gets crispy and golden brown. Done!
You can serve this with roasted veggies on the side, a green salad, or use as a dip with tortilla chips and raw veggies. I like to add a dollop of cashew cream (or coconut yogurt) on top to balance with the spiciness of the dish.
If you are looking for a spicy, heart-warming casserole, look no further! This buffalo rice & jackfruit bake is creamy, flavorful and makes the perfect fall weeknight dinner!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Buffalo Jackfruit & Rice Bake
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 20-ounce can young green jackfruit
- Start by cooking the rice. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rice and cook according to the package instructions.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut off the hard core parts and discard. Slightly press the jackfruit with your fingers, or with a fork to give it a pulled texture. Place the pulled jackfruit on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Prepare the buffalo sauce by combining all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, pulled jackfruit, and buffalo sauce. Stir to combine. Transfer to a baking dish (I used a 9x6-inch) and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool a few minutes and serve immediately.
- This buffalo bake will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in a 350°F preheated oven for about 25 minutes.