Winter might be coming, but it doesn’t mean salads are gone. Introducing Braised Fennel & Carrot Arugula Salad!
If you are looking for a healthy, flavorful, and quick salad that screams autumn, look no further! This one features fennel and carrots that have been caramelized, adding sweetness and a delicate anise flavor.
It comes together pretty quickly. You start by cooking the fennel and carrots until they start to brown and caramelize. This step adds a ton of flavor, making the fennel sweet and salty.
For the greens, I went with arugula. You can use any greens, but I found the subtle bitterness of arugula balances well with the sweetness of the braised fennel.
To add some crunch and nuttiness, we have toasted pine nuts as well as hemp seeds. I’m sure some raisins or hazelnuts would make great additions, too!
When it comes to the dressing, I went with something simple to not overpower the other flavors of this salad. Olive oil is combined with balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, pepper, and rosemary.
I hope you will love this salad as much as I do. It’s sweet and salty, nutty, and so easy to make. The caramelized fennel adds an incredible flavor!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- Start with the fennel. Trim off the fennel stalks and discard, keeping only the bulb. Remove also the hard root end. Using a sharp knife, cut the fennel into 1/2-inch slices. Wash the fennel slices and drain. Slice the baby carrots in half lengthwise, or in long matchsticks if using a regular carrot.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the fennel and carrots and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown.
- Next, pour in the soy sauce, maple syrup, and water. Cook over medium heat uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, or until no water remains and the vegetables caramelize. Make sure they caramelize as this step adds a lot of flavor. Remove from heat and let cool at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt, rosemary, and ground pepper until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arugula, toasted pine nuts, hemp seeds, and radishes together. Add the caramelized fennel and carrots and pour the dressing. Mix to coat the salad with the dressing.
- Serve immediately!
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.
🧀 25 Mind-Blowing Vegan Cheese Recipes!
Sign up for the Full of Plants newsletter and you’ll get new recipes delivered by email weekly, PLUS your FREE 100-page printable eBook!