Winter might be coming, it doesn't mean salads are gone.
If you are looking for a healthy, flavorful, and quick salad that screams autumn, look no further! This one features fennel and carrots that have been caramelized, adding sweetness and a delicate anise flavor.
It comes together pretty quickly. You start by cooking the fennel and carrots until they start to brown and caramelize. This step adds a ton of flavor, making the fennel sweet and salty.
For the greens, I went with arugula. You can use any greens, but I found the subtle bitterness of arugula balances well with the sweetness of the braised fennel.
To add some crunch and nuttiness, we have toasted pine nuts as well as hemp seeds. I'm sure some raisins or hazelnuts would make great additions too!
When it comes to the dressing I went with something simple to not overpower the other flavors of this salad. Olive oil is combined with balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, pepper, and rosemary.
I hope you will love this salad as much as I do, it's sweet and salty, nutty, and so easy to make. The caramelized fennel adds an incredible flavor!
If you are looking for more salads, check out this Creamy Cucumber Salad with Miso Tempeh, Quinoa Green Salad with Buffalo Eggplant Dip, or this Vegan Chèvre Chaud Salad!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Braised Fennel & Carrot Arugula Salad
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 4 baby carrots or 1 normal
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups arugula or other greens
- 3 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds optional
- 1-2 radishes sliced
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Start with the fennel. Trim off the fennel stalks and discard, keeping only the bulb. Remove also the hard root end. Using a sharp knife, cut the fennel into ½-inch slices. Wash the fennel slices and drain. Slice the baby carrots in half lengthwise, or in long matchsticks if using a regular carrot.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the fennel and carrots and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown.
- Next, pour in the soy sauce, maple syrup, and water. Cook over medium heat uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, or until no water remains and the vegetables caramelize. Make sure they caramelize as this step adds a lot of flavor. Remove from heat and let cool at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt, rosemary, and ground pepper until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arugula, toasted pine nuts, hemp seeds, and radishes together. Add the caramelized fennel and carrots and pour the dressing. Mix to coat the salad with the dressing.
- Serve immediately!
Leave a Reply