- 1 20-ounce can young green jackfruit
- 1 tbsp sesame paste (or 1 tbsp peanut butter mixed with 1/4 tsp sesame oil)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp ground dried shiitakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup coconut bacon
- 1 tbsp chopped marinated ginger
- toppings: okonomiyaki sauce, vegan mayonnaise (store-bought or homemade), green onions, aonori seaweed (optional)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Chop off the center (the hard part) and discard. Roughly mash the jackfruit with a fork. Transfer to a bowl, add the sesame paste, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Stir well to coat the jackfruit with the sauce.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet. Once hot, add jackfruit and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the oat flour, buckwheat flour, ground flax seeds, ground shiitakes, salt, and five spice powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the water and whisk until no clumps remain.
- Stir in the shredded cabbage, chopped green onions, coconut bacon, chopped marinated ginger, and jackfruit. Mix well with a spoon until all the ingredients are coated with the batter. Let it rest 5 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add one tablespoon oil. Pour 1/3 of the okonomiyaki batter into a pancake shape in the skillet. I like to make thick okonomiyaki, a bit less than 1-inch thick. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Carefully flip, cover and cook for another 7-9 minutes. Once both sides are golden brown, transfer to a plate, top with about 1 tablespoon okonomiyaki sauce and drizzle with mayonnaise.
- Serve immediately topped with more chopped green onions, and aonori seaweed.
- The batter will keep for up to two days, covered, in the refrigerator. You might have to add a few tablespoons of water if it has thickened too much.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Nutritional information doesn’t include mayonnaise. It can vary a lot depending on which brand, and how much you are using.
- Serving Size: 1 (of 3)
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 14.9g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 55.1g
- Fiber: 11.5g
- Protein: 9.2g