This tabbouleh-inspired salad is refreshing, packed with veggies, and easy to make. It comes with roasted cauliflower spiced with ras el-hanout and harissa, and a vibrant mint and basil dressing.
Let’s make this salad happen!
It all starts with the cauliflower that is first coated with olive oil and ras el-hanout before being roasted until golden brown. We also have red bell peppers that are roasted as well and add a natural sweetness to the salad.
While the cauliflower and bell pepper are in the oven, you prepare the couscous. It literally takes 5 minutes, couscous doesn’t need to be cooked for several minutes like rice or pasta, you just pour boiling water over it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and it’s ready!
Next, we have the dressing. It consists of fresh basil and fresh mint blended with olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. You can use regular basil, or Thai basil if you want a delicate anise flavor. I’m almost always using Thai basil now, love the flavor!
This salad comes together very quickly, is loaded with healthy greens, veggies, and is so satisfying!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Basil & Mint Cauliflower Couscous Salad
Super fresh couscous salad with roasted cauliflower, carrots, and kale, served with a mint and basil lime dressing!
- Yield: 3 1x
- 1 and 1/2 cup (about 250g) cauliflower florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1/2 tsp ras el-hanout
- 1/4 tsp harissa paste (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (140g) couscous
- 3/4 cup (178ml) water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup kale (or arugula, baby spinach, etc), chopped
- 4 small radishes, sliced
- 1/2 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower florets with the sliced red bell pepper. Add the oil, ras el-hanout, harissa paste, salt, and stir to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the couscous. Add the dry couscous to a bowl, set aside. Pour the 3/4 cup of water in a small saucepan. Add the salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, pour over the couscous. Cover with a plate and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The couscous will soak the water and cook. After 5 minutes, use a fork to mix it and make it fluffy.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small blender, combine the fresh basil, mint, olive oil, lime juice, white vinegar, maple syrup, and salt. Blend on high speed until the herbs are very finely chopped. Set aside.
- To make the salad, combine the roasted cauliflower, red bell peppers, couscous, kale, radishes, and carrot in a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.
- The couscous salad will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Fat: 19.5g
- Carbohydrates: 49.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 9g