This pumpkin French toast screams Winter, it's packed with pumpkin flavor and warming spices. It has perfectly crispy edges and a moist and pillowy texture on the inside! This warming breakfast is not overly sweet so you can drizzle it with maple syrup!
This pumpkin French toast is super easy to prepare and makes the perfect breakfast for the holidays, or any chill day!
🍞 What is French Toast
French toast, or "Pain perdu" in French, is a breakfast dish prepared from bread that is soaked in a batter usually made of eggs and milk, and then pan-fried.
For the little story, "perdu" in French means "lost", which is used to describe stale bread that would be too firm to be eaten anyway. French toast is a great way to make use of that stale bread!
🥣 How to Make Pumpkin French Toast
Making French toast is easy and requires basic ingredients you probably already have on hand like:
- Sandwich bread or day-old bread.
- Almond milk or your favorite plant based milk.
- Pumpkin purée: not pumpkin pie filling.
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla Extract
Once you have gathered all of the ingredients, prepare the batter. Combine everything, except the sandwich bread, in a mixing bowl.
Next, dip thick slices of sandwich bread into the pumpkin batter, and transfer the slices to a slightly greased baking dish.
I went with a loaf of sandwich bread, but it will work with basically any kind of bread. If using a more rustic bread, let the bread soak up the batter for at least 2 hours.
Once you have arranged the bread slices in the baking dish, pour the remaining pumpkin batter all over the bread and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the bread to absorb the batter.
Next, bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, brush with melted vegan butter and coconut sugar, and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Hello crispy edges!
Serve warm topped with maple syrup and/or fresh berries or banana slices!
- Cut the sandwich bread into thick slices, about 1 and ½-inch thick.
- Instead of using sandwich bread, feel free to go with a brioche! The result will be even more buttery!
- For more crunch, add crushed pecans after brushing the bread with the melted butter, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Can I prepare this French toast recipe the day before? Yes! You can prepare everything in the evening, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, preheat your oven and bake according to the recipe instructions.
- Can I cut the bread into cubes instead of slices? Definitely, it is not a problem.
- Why baking instead of frying? Short answer: it requires less active time! Instead of frying each slice in a skillet, you put everything in the oven and can prepare coffee or tea while it is baking!
- How long does pumpkin French Toast keep? French toast is best served immediately but will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in a 300°F (150°C) preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
If you are looking for a warming and cozy breakfast recipe, you will love this pumpkin French toast! It's a favorite here during Winter!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Pumpkin Baked French Toast (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Slice the sandwich bread into thick slices of about 1 and ½-inch thick. You should get 6-8 slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, pumpkin purée, cornstarch, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Slightly grease a 10x6-inch baking dish. Dip each slice of bread into the batter and arrange in the baking dish. The slices can overlap each other, this is not an issue. Pour the remaining batter evenly over the bread slices and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, whisk together the topping ingredients: melted vegan butter, coconut sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- After 25 minutes in the oven, remove the foil and brush the top of the bread with the melted vegan butter mixture. Bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup and berries!