And five test batches later, here they are. Super extra moist, gluten-free and naturally sweetened with orange juice and coconut sugar.
Close your eyes and picture yourself taking a bite of these incredible baked donuts. It starts by this super moist, melt-in-your-mouth kinda texture, with a fresh orange taste. Then comes the salted caramel glaze that is seriously awesome.
These donuts are just SUPER ADDICTING and really easy to make. I don't know how it happened but I ended up eating 3 in one day. Now my diet for the next three days will probably be salad and broccoli.
Anyway, these donuts are baked instead of fried, if you don't have a donut pan I recommend the Wilton nonstick donut pan, it's great quality and pretty cheap.
The batter is made with rice flour and almond meal. I first tried using brown rice flour but I found the donuts had a bitter aftertaste, so I recommend you stick with white rice flour. The almond meal is the secret ingredient that gives them this really soft and moist texture.
The salted caramel glaze is a mix of coconut milk, coconut sugar, coconut oil and maple syrup. You put everything in a large pan and let simmer until it thickens and smells like caramel. You will probably have some glaze left, try to use it as a topping for your oatmeal, trust me, best thing ever.
Let me know if liked this recipe and feel free to tag @fullofplants on Instagram if you try it!
Baked Orange Donuts with Salted Caramel Glaze (Vegan + GF)
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour sifted
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 and ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup and 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zests from 2 oranges optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a donut baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, arrowroot, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly pour in the orange juice and whisk until well combined.
- Add the oil, almond butter, vanilla extract and orange zests if using. Whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling ¾ of the cavities. If you have a piping bag, feel free to use it, it will be easier.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool for at least 1 hour before trying to remove the donuts from the pan.
Salted Caramel Glaze
- Combine all ingredients except the vanilla extract in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly for the first 2 minutes.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes until the mixture has thickened and has a caramel color. It should have reduced in volume by about 50%
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and let the glaze cool for about 10 minutes. If it's not thick enough, let simmer again for another 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the glaze in a small bowl and dunk the donuts, letting excess glaze drip off. Transfer to a wire rack and sprinkle with sea salt and funtettis.