Sweet potatoes meet avocado and mint in this fresh arugula salad! Introducing Arugula & Sweet Potato Salad with Mint Yogurt Dressing!
What better way to start off Spring than with a healthy and super green salad? I know what you are going to say. Yes, it’s still cold out there, around 30°F here today, but at least this salad is loaded with roasted sweet potatoes, which brings the well-needed carbs to defy the cold.
This salad comes together very quickly. The longest step is roasting the sweet potatoes, which takes approximately 25 minutes. First, sweet potatoes are tossed with olive oil, smoked paprika, ground cumin, oregano, and finally, salt. Then they are roasted to perfection: until they become soft and golden brown. Seriously, roasted sweet potatoes are the best, especially when they are sweet and melty on the inside.
In the meantime, you prepare the dressing. I went with yogurt to keep the salad lighter and increase the creamy factor. Plus, yogurt helps balance the slight bitterness of the arugula. Now, if you are not a fan of arugula, go with baby spinach, massaged kale, or even lamb’s lettuce. Basically, any green will work!
Back to the dressing, yogurt is flavored with freshly chopped mint, tahini, olive oil, rice vinegar for some tanginess, and minced garlic. I also added a teaspoon of maple syrup, once again, to balance with the bitterness of the salad.
Now, onto the add-ins. First, we have toasted pine nuts and sunflower seeds for some crunch. I always add nuts and/or seeds to salads. It’s an obsession. Then, for a nice kick, we have red pepper flakes, cucumber for more freshness, and avocado for creaminess.
Garnish with a few mint leaves, drizzle with the yogurt dressing, toss, and enjoy!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups arugula or baby spinach, kale, etc
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small avocado sliced or cut into cubes
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato cubes with the olive oil, smoked paprika, ground cumin, oregano, and salt, toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and golden brown. Remove from the oven and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar, toss to coat and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. If the dressing appears too thick, thin with a couple tablespoons of water.
- To make the salad, divide the arugula into 4 serving bowls, or plate. Top with roasted sweet potato, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and red pepper flakes. Top with the avocado and cucumber slices, and drizzle with the mint yogurt dressing. Garnish with a few mint leaves. Toss to combine and coat the arugula with the dressing. If you prefer, you can also make the salad in one large bowl and then serve.
- The salad is best fresh but will keep for up to 2 days covered in the refrigerator
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.
🧀 25 Mind-Blowing Vegan Cheese Recipes!
Sign up for the Full of Plants newsletter and you’ll get new recipes delivered by email weekly, PLUS your FREE 100-page printable eBook!