Are you guys up for a good vegan BBQ this weekend? Well I can bring the skewers!
These super easy-to-make skewers are ready in no time and will make the perfect dish this grilling season. No special ingredients required, you probably already have everything in your pantry or fridge!
They are made of spicy marinated tofu, zucchini, eggplant and red bell peppers. To sum it up: lots of veggies + tofu for some added protein.
The tofu is really the star of the show here, it has this nutty, spicy-sweet flavor that will please everyone. Goodbye blank tofu. I won’t miss you.
You start by mixing all the marinade ingredients: almond butter, sriracha, soy sauce and maple syrup. This marinade is inspired by the spicy almond butter dressing I made in my Glowing Black Rice Bowls. I have been obsessed with it lately, I basically use it everywhere!
Then add the tofu and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes so it can absorb the flavors of the sauce. The marinade will make the tofu softer (melt-in-your-mouth kind of texture!) so I recommend using extra-firm tofu since firm tofu may fall apart on the grill.
You can cook the skewers on a grill, plancha, cast iron skillet or on a large griddle. I tried two different ways and each worked really well. I recommend you keep some of the leftover marinade and drizzle it on the tofu when it’s cooking, it will add more flavor and help caramelizing it.
The skewers can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to two days, meaning you can prepare them NOW and just cook them this weekend!
I served the skewers with cold brown rice, aragula and grilled veggies, I’m sure it would also taste great with sweet potato fries or a mint lemon quinoa salad.
Let me know in the comments if you try these skewers!
Almond Butter Tofu Skewers
8-ingredient vegan skewers with tofu marinated in a spicy almond butter sauce. The perfect skewers for your next BBQ!
- Yield: 8 Skewers 1x
- 8 wooden skewers
- 8-ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium zuchinni
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in paper towels, squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Add it to the bowl and toss gently.
- Cover and let the tofu marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash the eggplant, zuchinni and red bell pepper and cut them into thick 1-inch square slices.
- Thread the marinated tofu, red bell pepper, zuchinni and eggplant slices onto the wooden skewers, alternating each item. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill or plancha and grill the skewers on all sides until the tofu is golden brown and the vegetables softer. You can add a drizzle of soy sauce when they cook to help the tofu caramelize.
- Serve with brown rice, salad, chips, etc.
If you don’t have a grill, you can also cook the skewers in a large skillet.
- Serving Size: 2 Skewers
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 8.8g