Look no further, dinner is planned for tonight.
Introducing these Thai peanut jackfruit noodle bowls that are simply amazing for two reasons. 1) It's ready in 15 minutes. No marinade or any kind of preparation needed beforehand. Plus it's easy to make. 2) It's incredibly good. Super saucy, peanutty, spicy, and a bit sweet.
If you need one more reason to be convinced: it is served in bowls, which makes it twice as delicious. Anyone else prefers bowls over plates? I could eat a bowl of these peanut jackfruit noodles basically every evening.
When I say this recipe is very easy I'm not exaggerating. You start by sautéeing shallots, garlic, cabbage, and bell peppers for a few minutes. Then add jackfruit and cook for a couple more minutes.
In the meantime, you prepare the sauce that is the star of this recipe. 90% of the flavor comes from the sauce.
Coconut milk makes the base (use full-fat here, not the light one), then comes peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, and maple syrup. A squeeze of lime to add freshness and your sauce is ready.
For more texture, feel free to use crunchy peanut butter. I tried both and have a preference for the crunchy one here. For those of you with peanut allergies, I guess almond or sunflower seed butter would make a good substitute.
These Thai jackfruit noodles are saucy, spicy, and really delicious! For more jackfruit recipes, check out these Vegan Jackfruit Potstickers, Buffalo Jackfruit & Rice Bake, or these Jackfruit "Chicken" Quinoa Bowls!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
15 Minute Thai Peanut Jackfruit Noodles
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 20-oz can young green jackfruit
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup peanut butter smooth or crunchy
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 and ½ tsp sriracha
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 ounces instant noodles or soba, rice noodles
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallot, garlic, cabbage, and red bell pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- In the meantime, drain the jackfruit, cut off the hard core and discard it. Using your hands or a fork, slightly shred it. Add to the skillet and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- While the jackfruit and vegetables are cooking, prepare the peanut sauce. To a large bowl, add the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, maple syrup, sriracha, lime juice, and sesame oil. Whisk until smooth and well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Add more sriracha for spiciness, maple syrup for sweetness, or soy sauce for saltiness.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the noodles and cook according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and cover to keep warm.
- Pour the peanut sauce into the skillet and stir to coat the jackfruit with the peanut sauce. Cook for a couple minute before removing from heat.
- To serve, divide the noodles into serving bowls and top with the saucy jackfruit. Top with fresh cilantro or basil, mint, and a squeeze of lime juice. Give it a quick stir before eating to coat the noodles with the peanut sauce!
- This dish is best served the same day but will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Just reheat gently in a saucepan and add a couple tablespoons of coconut milk if needed.