Let’s go straight to the point: It’s strawberry shortcake in a jar. It’s healthier than the real one, fresh and easy to make. Oh, and of course: they are DE-LI-CIOUS. These parfaits are made of 3 layers: coconut cream, sponge cake and juicy strawberries. The perfect dessert for a 4th of July. Did I mention they only take 30 minutes to make?
It’s getting pretty hot here and I don’t know about you, but I’m really craving fresh desserts.
I remember my birthday desserts were 90% of the time a strawberry shortcake when I was a kid, they were my favorite since I was not a big fan of chocolate at the time. By the way, my birthday is in November, if you can remember that.
And honestly, who doesn’t love the combination of the sweet cream, moist sponge cake and fresh strawberries?
The genoise layer is moistened with the coconut cream and the strawberries juice, which gives it a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
This recipe starts with the strawberries, that are quartered and tossed with sugar to help release some of their juice. Then you mix all the ingredients for the sponge cake and put it in the oven.
While the sponge cake layer is baking you can prepare the whipped coconut cream. If you are not a coconut lover, don’t worry, the coconut flavor is very subtle, if not imperceptible.
Once you have everything ready, it’s time to assemble layers in the jars. One layer of coconut cream, one layer of sponge cake and a layer of strawberries with their juice. Repeat once again, top with blueberries, more strawberries, chocolate chips, basically what you have on hand. I’m sure granola would add a nice crunch as well.
Put the jars in the fridge for at least one hour and you are done.
As I said, it’s really easy to prepare and it makes a super decadent dessert. Feel free to replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend to make it gluten free!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- 1 14-ounces can coconut cream, chilled
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour one 10 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine together all the dry ingredients. Slowly pour in the almond milk and whisk until no clumps remain. Stir in the almond extract and canola oil.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool.
- Using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out eight 2-inch rounds. They must have the same diameter as your jars.
- Combine the coconut cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat for 30-40 seconds with a mixer until fluffy and creamy. Set aside.
- Dollop about 3 tablespoons of coconut cream in the bottom of the jar.
- Add a sponge cake round and top with fresh strawberries with some of their juice.
- Repeat the last steps to have two layers of each. Top with more strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chip, or your favorite toppings.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least one hour to let all the flavors merge together.
- Let sit on the counter about 15 minutes before serving to let the coconut cream become softer.
Feel free to omit the almond extract and replace it with vanilla extract if you prefer.