- 1 cup roasted almonds (or cashews, peanuts)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pepitas (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 5 ounces dark chocolate (about 3/4 cup chocolate chips)
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and toast the oats (and pumpkin pepitas if using) for about 5 minutes until they take a slightly golden brown color.
- Place the almonds in a clean kitchen towel and crush them a little bit by rolling a pastry roller on it.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, crushed almonds (or other nuts), raisins, and pumpkin pepitas if using. Set aside.
- Line a 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper. You can also use a 6×6 inch square pan if you prefer thicker squares.
- Combine the brown rice syrup and almond butter in a small sauce pan. Heat on low-medium, stirring regularly until the mixture starts to bubble. Remove from heat and pour into the bowl containing the oats, nuts and raisins. Using a spatular or a wooden spoon, mix well until all the dry ingredients are coated with the syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to the square pan and roughly spread it evenly with a spatula, it will be very sticky and crumbly. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and press firmly using the bottom of a glass. Make sure it’s packed and flat. I wanted thicker bars so I spread the mixture on only 3/4 of the pan.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Once firm, remove from the pan and cut into about 30 squares. You can also cut into bars if you prefer.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or place a silpat on your kitchen countertop. Dip each square halfway into the melted chocolate, then allow the excess to run off before placing on the parchment paper. Let cool completely.
- Store in a airtight container for up to a week.
Inspired by Goodnessknows snack bites.
For crunchier squares, replace 1/4 of the rolled oats with puffed rice.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 1.4g