All the tropical flavors in a super thick, creamy yogurt that is naturally sweetened with fruits, no added sugar! It’s made with 5 ingredients: mango, passion fruits, coconut cream, yogurt starter and guar gum to make the consistency even thicker.
And…you don’t even need a yogurt maker to make these delicious yogurts!
I love to end a meal with a yogurt, the thing is non-dairy yogurts are usually pretty watery or not very flavorful. I can tell you this yogurt won’t disappoint!
The recipe starts with the mango and passion fruits. You blend the mango with the passion fruits juice until very smooth, and then heat it for about 5 minutes in a saucepan. It is essential to cook the fruits, otherwise they would be too much acidity.
I used coconut cream to make the yogurt very rich and creamy, I do not recommend replacing it with coconut milk. If you are not fan of coconut, don’t worry, the coconut taste is very subtle, if not imperceptible.
The coconut cream needs to be warm when you add the yogurt starter but be careful it’s not too hot or it will kill the yogurt cultures. If you don’t have vegan yogurt starter on hand, you can simply replace it with 1/4 cup of non-dairy yogurt.
Once you have mixed the coconut cream with the starter, you can stir in the mango and passion fruit puree and transfer to clean jars. The role of a yogurt maker is to keep the yogurts warm for several hours so they have enough time to ferment. Well, you can replicate the same process with your oven, preheat it to 110-115°F and place the yogurts inside for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, don’t open the door and let the yogurt ferment for 6 hours, or more if you want a more acid yogurt. After 6 hours you can place the yogurts in the refrigerator, they will thicken once completely cool.
This super creamy yogurt is also great for breakfast, top it with your favorite fruits, granola, nuts or seeds!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- Preheat oven to 110°F.
- Cut the passion fruits in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the pulp into a mesh trainer placed on top of a bowl. Press the pulp through the strainer using the back of a spoon.
- Add the mango chunks and the passion fruit pulp to a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the mango and passion fruit puree to a small saucepan and heat on low heat for about 5 minutes, remove from heat as soon as it starts to boil. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Add the coconut cream and guar gum to a saucepan, whisk until well combined. Heat on medium heat until just warm.
- Transfer the coconut cream to a large bowl and let cool about 10 minutes, until just warm to touch (the temperature of the coconut cream should not be higher than 115°F).
- Sprinkle the vegan yogurt starter over the coconut cream and stir well. Add the mango and passion fruit puree and stir again.
- Pour into clean jars, cover with plastic film and place the jars in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the jars inside for 6-8 hours, without opening the oven door.
- After 6 hours, remove from the oven and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. The yogurt will thicken once completely cool.
- Yogurts will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
I recommend checking the instructions on your yogurt starter package for additional information, not all yogurt starters work the same way.
Only use coconut cream, not coconut milk.
If you don’t have yogurt starter on hand, you can replace it with 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt. The yogurt must be at room temperature when you mix it with the coconut cream.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 2g