Crepes party? Here I come! Don’t get me started on how much I love crepes, they are so thin, soft, and delicious with just about anything.
Crepes always make a hearty and easy breakfast since you can make them a day ahead and just reheat them in the morning. Topped with fresh fruits or jam in the summer, peanut butter, maple syrup or chocolate in winter, or filled with stir-fry vegetables for dinner, you can use them in many ways.
Regularly, my mom used to make us crepes when we were back from school. I would eat at least three at 4pm and another two for dinner filled with bechamel and ham, plus another one with sugar for dessert. Six crepes…yes I was a real glutton at the time.
At least these crepes are refined sugar-free, vegan and only require 30 minutes to make!
This recipe is really easy to prepare, all you have to do is mix all the ingredients and let the dough rest for about 1/2 hour. Heat skillet. Cook. Garnish. Eat.
Can you see how these crepes look like a pile of soft fluffy towels?
The crepes have the perfect texture and a little bit of elasticity so you can fold or roll them easily. They can be infused with a little amount of rhum, which combined with the vanilla gives them a wonderful flavor.
I like my crepes still warm, generously filled with chocolat spread or peanut butter, or when I am feeling fancy, both. Feel free to share what are your favorite fillings or toppings! Peanut butter and jelly? Apple sauce and cinnamon? Or maybe just drizzled with some maple syrup, the combinations are endless.
- 3 and ¼ cup light spelt flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rhum (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, oil, maple syrup, water, vanilla and rhum if using.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, flax seeds and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Let sit covered for about 1 hour.
- Heat some oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Fold a sheet of paper tower in half and moisten with oil. Rub the skillet with the oiled paper towel.
- Pour about ½ cup of batter into skillet and tilt the pan with a circular motion to spread the batter evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 30-50 seconds, until golden brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side for about 30 seconds.
- Serve hot with fresh fruits, nut butters, chocolate, etc.