In my book, comforting soups are mandatory to fight the cold weather and the shorter days that come with November.
This cozy coconut soup gets its cheesiness from mushrooms like cremini, chanterelles, and shiitakes. It tastes so good you would never believe how easy it is!
Only 10 ingredients are required to prepare the soup, and there is no blender required!
First, we start by heating full-fat coconut milk with shallots, fresh ginger, and lemongrass. Once the coconut milk has soaked up their flavors, we add mushrooms. I went with one cup of each: cremini, chanterelles, and shiitakes. I recommend using varied mushrooms to get different textures.
You can use any mushroom you have on hand but remember that while all mushrooms are edible, some are only once. That is my uncle’s favorite joke.
After a few minutes, the mushrooms will become soft and will have reduced in size.
We can then add a squeeze of lemon juice to give the soup a subtle acidity, coconut sugar to balance with the tanginess, and a pinch of nutritional yeast to make the cheesy flavor pop. That’s it, all you have to do next is divide into bowls and devour.
This soup is delicious on its own, but if you add a few toppings it just becomes amazing. Green beans, coconut bacon, or a few toasted pecans would take it to the next level, no doubt.
If you are looking for a comforting and flavorful soup to make on a weeknight dinner, look no further! This coconut soup is healthy, super creamy, and comes together in 20 minutes.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 2 13.5-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 lemongrass stalk
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms (I used cremini, chanterelles, and shiitakes), chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Green beans, coconut bacon, fresh parsley, toasted bread
- Combine the coconut milk, minced shallots, ginger, and lemongrass in a medium-size saucepan. Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- In the meantime, rinse and slice the mushrooms. I sliced creminis and shiitakes and halved the chanterelles. You can also keep the mushrooms whole if you prefer.
- Remove the lemongrass stalk from the coconut milk and discard. Add mushrooms, lemon juice, coconut sugar, nutritional yeast, and salt to the saucepan and continue to cook on low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasonings if needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, or salt for saltiness.
- Divide into bowls and top with your favorite toppings, green beans and/or coconut bacon are great. The soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, I found out it tastes even better the next day.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Fat: 32.4g
- Carbohydrates: 12.3g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 5g